NBSZ Left With Less Than 5 Days’ Supply Of Blood | FULL TEXT
6 August 2021
Statement by the National Blood Service Zimbabwe (NBSZ) on current blood stock levels and the remedial action being pursued.
NBS) currently has low blood stocks (below 5 days cover) at all our branches nationally.
Featured ProductPlain t-shirts all colours
You can also sell your products for free here
Blood group O is the most affected because of the higher demand as it is considered a universal type.
In emergencies or times of shortage, it can be transfused into persons of other blood groups.
Group O is found in approximately 50% of all Zimbabweans, contributing factors to the shortage include but are not limited to:
- low donor turnouts, maybe due to 3rd wave concerns
- community impacts of 3rd wave affecting attendance to collections sites
- learning institutions remain closed, our major source of donors who contribute about 75% of blood in the national blood bank.
- we also get blood from corporates but they are operating at low capacity, so few donor inflows
The remedial action being pursued are:
- donor contact centre is active
- need for continued support from corporates and the community through community-based blood drives
- media to assist in inviting blood donors to come for donations.
The thrust of the message is that NBSZ is calling on all blood group O blood donors to come forward and help boost the blood bank stocks.